If you are new to search marketing, you are probably excited to learn how to write website content for SEO.
Before we get started I want you to remember one thing – if you want to build more traffic you need to get smarter with your content.
I don’t agree with many marketers who focus too much on SEO. Our goal here is to write content for search engines and make it interesting for people as well. Is it possible?
The answer is yes. Many people make it very complicated when it comes to writing contents for SEO . But it’s not that difficult as you’d think.
A lot of websites have made money by understanding simple SEO concepts. And this is what we are going to learn here. Here we go.
How to Write SEO Content for Website that will Impress Search Engines
Think about search engines like robots. Unlike human beings, they cannot subjectively determine how valuable your content is. So, they send out automated programs to find signals in the contents that provide information needed to establish value.
These web spiders scan the content and try to establish what the content is about (subject, topic or theme) through analysing the words and phrases present in key spots of the page. That’s where the whole concept of keywords originates. Without these keywords, your contents could be irrelevant to spiders especially when it comes to ranking in the search engine results on related queries made by people.
So if you are going to write SEO content for your website, you might as well make sure search engines take notice of your effort.
STEP # 1 – Get your keyword research on. There are several keywords tool online but, I would recommend Google AdWords Keyword Planner if you are planning for a free and quick start. I also wrote a post on how to use Google Keyword Planner tool to know your market size. You can find valuable actionable tips for your research as well.
Choose relevant keywords depending on your industry. Keyword research should be your starting point when you are set to write website content for SEO. Using Google Keyword Planner tool, you will be able to come up with a list of targeted list of keywords.
STEP # 2 – Watch out for your competitor’s as well. Search who is ranking on your targeted keywords, go to their websites and look for the words and phrases repeatedly used to get an idea of your competitors targeted keywords.
STEP # 3 – After discovering your top keywords, it is time you put them to work. There are 5 most important places where you should have your target keywords appear to give relevancy signals to search engines…
- URL of your page
- Meta title of your page
- Meta description of your page
- Heading # 1 often termed as H1
- Naturally dispersed in the body contents
How to Write SEO Content for Website that is Engaging to People
I have seen small business owners getting obsessed over writing SEO optimised contents. As a result, they totally forget about writing for the most important audience, their customers!
Here’s an example of the contents written by a client..
The above example of stuffing keywords into contents worked till late 2005 but now search engines have become smarter. As a result, you have to keep a fine balance between writing for the search engines and your audience. Both audiences are important. If you totally ignore search engines then your contents will not be visible. And if you totally ignore your audience, you’ll suffer with low click through rates.
When writing for your audience think of…
- The user’s intent when they search your targeted keyword
- Satisfying the intent of the user’s query
For example, your target keyword is “drain unblocking remedies”. You can very clearly see that the searcher is not after a plumber but looking for some DIY solutions. Now the content you write should provide some great DIY remedies that could potentially solve the problem.
Even if are able to get to the first page of search engine, people will click through the most intriguing, informative or compelling listing. So in order to improve click through rates of your first page search engine listing, you have no choice but to shift the balance slightly towards your audience.
Additional Tips on How To Write Website Contents for SEO
- Now if you want to keep visitors stay longer on your website, stop producing content in a haphazard way and start creating a flow. Avoid overdoing keywords and make sure your ideas read smoothly for your readers.
- Some marketers would say that an ideal blog post would at least 1000 words. But I don’t agree with that because a lot of detailed articles still struggle to rank in Google. So just be yourself. Don’t stretch your content if you can explain it in 500 words.
- Be direct to the point. Niche down on a particular problem that your readers are struggling with and give a concrete solution.
- Always kick off your content with a compelling introduction and keep it going with the body while addressing your keyword intent.
- I always believe in the power of “persuasion” in improving content appeal. So if you are good in delivering persuasive content, then I highly recommend you leverage that skill. I know a lot of writers who are good but only a few are very passionate.
Now we have learned how to write website content for SEO together, I am confident that you can write a high-quality and compelling web copy. Do you have any specific questions about writing SEO content? Feel free to comment with your insights.